Sitecore tokens are very useful. They helps in filling sitecore fields on item creation. Moreover, it is possible to create custom token based on your requirements.
$name being displayed on Live Site
This issue is not very common. The main reason why $name gets displayed on the live site is because sitecore did not get the version of the item being displayed.
For example, if you have an Item A which has no version in the CMS and is configured on the site, the item A will result into $name.
- Check if the item being configured contains a version
- Check if the version of the item is the Context Language of the site.
- If you are using the datasource field, make sure that the item in the datasource path is correct.
- Check if the templates are version only in English.
- Check if there is no invariant language in the version language list.
If you have additional information or troubleshooting steps, please share in the comments 🙂